Understanding what you need to do to sell alcohol can be daunting and overwhelming (to say the least), whereas, in fact, it is quite simple. However, the way that you source/make and sell your product determines the process you need to go through.

We’ve broken this down into 4 sections depending on where you get your alcohol from, and how you plan on selling it. To help, there are a lot of useful resources available on the gov.uk website.

I’m importing / sourcing my alcohol from a wholesaler

  • First things first, you need to make sure that your supplier is registered as a wholesaler with the government. They’ll need to be on the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS), which you can check here. If you ask them, they should be able to direct you to the right place.

  • If you’re importing alcohol yourself from another country, you’ll need to make sure you’re paying the correct duty and tax, this may vary depending on which country and what you’re importing, but you can find more about it here.

What do I need to sell alcohol on DELLI?

  • When selling alcohol on DELLI, regardless of whether you’re making it yourself, or reselling something you’ve bought from a wholesaler, you’ll need to obtain a Personal License.

  • Obtaining a personal license requires a bit of work, you’ll need to make sure you have the right qualifications to show that you will be selling alcohol in a professional manner, learn more about that here (the course itself costs around £150). Once you’ve completed this, you’ll be able to apply for a personal license with your local council to sell alcohol.

Do I need a premises license to sell on DELLI?

No, as you’ll be selling your products online through the DELLI platform, you won’t be serving or selling in person.

I’m making alcohol at home

Selling alcohol that you make at home varies depending on what you’re selling, the categories change depending on the alcoholic strength of the drink. The UK government has put together guidance on this based on whether you are selling Distilled alcohol (more info here), or brewed alcoholic drinks (more info here).